Last updated: 26 April 2020
What does this policy cover?
This policy describes how Sports Betting Community Limited (also referred to as “SBC “, “we” or “us”) will make use of your data, acting as a data controller, when you access the SBC websites and when you attend an SBC event or webinar.
It also describes your data protection rights, including a right to object to some of the processing which SBC carries out. More information about your rights, and how to exercise them, is set out in the “What rights do I have?” section.
What information do we collect?
We collect and process personal data about you when you interact with us and our websites, and when you register for and attend an SBC Event. This includes:
- your name, username and password;
- Where you provide these in connection with an event registration:
- professional details: company, job title, email address, key responsibilities;
- LinkedIn profile address
- photograph of you for your event registration profile
- information about your sectors of professional interests such as the type of gaming, area of gaming and geographic areas of interest
- your payment and delivery details, including billing and delivery addresses and billing details, where you purchase from us;
- your marketing preferences, including any consents you have given us;
- when you attend an SBC event, information about your use of digital resources we provide, your digital interactions with other event attendees and presenters; and
- information related to the browser or device you use to access our website, such as IP address, geographical location, device information, browser type, referral source, length of visit, operating system, number of page views and similar information.
What information do we receive from third parties?
We engage third parties to assist us with our online event registration systems or payment systems; these entities will collect information directly from you on our behalf. We also engage third parties to operate event websites on our behalf; these entities will collect information directly from you about your visits to the website on our behalf.
How do we use this information, and what is the legal basis for this use?
We process this personal data for the following purposes:
- To fulfil a contract, or take steps linked to a contract: this is relevant where you make a purchase from us. This includes:
- verifying your identity;
- taking payments;
- communicating with you;
- providing customer services and arranging the delivery or other provision of products or services;
- As required by SBC to conduct our business and pursue our legitimate interests, in particular:
- we will send you direct marketing in relation to our relevant products and services such as upcoming events, where we allowed to do so without your consent;
- we will use your information to provide products and services you have requested, and respond to any comments or complaints you may send us;
- we monitor use of our websites and online services, and use your information to help us monitor, improve and protect our products, content, services and websites, both online and offline;
- we use information you provide to personalise our website, products or services for you;
- when you attend an SBC digital event or use the SBC Connect website or app, we monitor your interaction with event attendees, presenters and resources to improve future events and improve the networking and lead building opportunities the event provides to attendees and presenters.
- we monitor customer accounts to prevent, investigate and/or report fraud, terrorism, misrepresentation, security incidents or crime, in accordance with applicable law;
- we use information you provide to investigate any complaints received from you or from others, about our website or our products or services;
- we will use data in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes as necessary (including disclosure of such information in connection with legal process or litigation); and
- we use data of some individuals to invite them to take part in market research.
- Where you give us consent:
- we will send you direct marketing in relation to our relevant products and services, or other products and services provided by us, our affiliates and carefully selected partners.
- we place cookies and use similar technologies in accordance with our Cookies Policy and the information provided to you when those technologies are used
- on other occasions where we ask you for consent, we will use the data for the purpose which we explain at that time.
- For purposes which are required by law, in response to requests by government or law enforcement authorities conducting an investigation
Withdrawing consent or otherwise objecting to direct marketing
Wherever we rely on your consent, you will always be able to withdraw that consent, although we may have other legal grounds for processing your data for other purposes, such as those set out above. In some cases, we are able to send you direct marketing without your consent, where we rely on our legitimate interests. You have an absolute right to opt-out of direct marketing, or profiling we carry out for direct marketing, at any time. You can do this by following the instructions in the marketing emails we send you, or by contacting us using the details set out below.
Who will we share this data with, where and when?
When you attend an SBC event, we will share some limited information about you with our sponsors and presenters. This is limited to:
- When you attend the virtual booth of an exhibitor, we share your name, job title and company with the exhibitor, together with information about your interaction with their booth;
- When you attend booth of an exhibitor at a live event and allow your badge to be scanned, or at a digital event you use the “virtual badge swipe” feature, we may share your email address in addition to your name, job title and company with that exhibitor.
- We share the names, job titles, and companies of the attendees with our major sponsors, as listed on the official website for the event or webinar.
When attending a digital event, your basic registration information (name, job title, company and photo, if you have provided one), will also be made available to all other attendees of the digital event, to facilitate networking. When you attend an in person event, your basic registration information will be visible on your event badge.
Personal data may be shared with government authorities and/or law enforcement officials if required for the purposes above, if mandated by law or if required for the legal protection of our legitimate interests in compliance with applicable laws.
Personal data will also be shared with third party service providers, who will process it on behalf of SBC for the purposes identified above. Such third parties include providers of website hosting, maintenance, call centre operation, online event registration, digital event or webinar platform, payment systems and identity checking.
In the event that the business is sold or integrated with another business, your details will be disclosed to our advisers and any prospective purchaser’s adviser and will be passed to the new owners of the business.
We may share some of your personal data with our sponsors, as described above, some of whom are located outside the EEA.
Data is stored and processed by our vendors, located in the United States. Where information is transferred outside the EEA, and where this is to a vendor in a country that is not subject to an adequacy decision by the EU Commission, data is adequately protected by EU Commission approved standard contractual clauses, an appropriate Privacy Shield certification or a vendor’s Processor Binding Corporate Rules. A copy of the relevant mechanism can be provided for your review on request to the contact detail provided below.
What rights do I have?
You have the right to ask us for a copy of your personal data; to correct, delete or restrict (stop any active) processing of your personal data; and to obtain the personal data you provide to us for a contract or with your consent in a structured, machine readable format, and to ask us to share (port) this data to another controller.
In addition, you can object to the processing of your personal data in some circumstances (in particular, where we don’t have to process the data to meet a contractual or other legal requirement, or where we are using the data for direct marketing).
These rights may be limited, for example if fulfilling your request would reveal personal data about another person, or if you ask us to delete information which we are required by law to keep or have compelling legitimate interests in keeping.
To exercise any of these rights, you can get in touch with us – or our data protection officer – using the details set out below. If you have unresolved concerns, you have the right to complain to an EU data protection authority where you live, work or where you believe a breach may have occurred.
How do I get in touch with you?
We hope that we can satisfy queries you may have about the way we process your data. If you have any concerns about how we process your data, or would like to opt out of direct marketing, you can get in touch at [email protected]
or by writing to Customer Services Dept, Sports Betting Community Ltd, Riverbank House, 1 Putney Bridge Approach, London, SW6 3JD
How long will you retain my data?
Where we process registration data, we do this for as long as you are an active user of our sites and for 2 years after this.
Where we process personal data for marketing purposes or with your consent, we process the data until you ask us to stop and for a short period after this (to allow us to implement your requests). We also keep a record of the fact that you have asked us not to send you direct marketing or to process your data indefinitely so that we can respect your request in future.
Where we process personal data for site security purposes, we retain it for 12 months.
Where we process personal data in connection with performing a contract or for a competition, we keep the data for 6 years from your last interaction with us.